180 gram vinyl pressing
The great Nina Simone’s style encompassed a broad range of musical genres including jazz, blues, folk, R&B, gospel, pop and classical music. This collection compiles some of her best performances of jazz ballads and blues. Among the many highlights are her classic readings of the ballads “I Loves You Porgy,” “Little Girl Blue,” and “Black Is the Color of My True Love’s Hair,” as well as blues such as “Trouble in Mind,” Billie Holiday’s “Fine and Mellow,” and “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out.” One of Simone’s most outstanding hits, “My Baby Just Cares for Me,” has been added as a bonus.
NINA SIMONE, VOCALS & PIANO, WITH
- A1, A2, A6 & B7:
- Jimmy Bond (b), Albert “Tootie” Heath (d).
- New York, December 1957.
- A3: The Malcolm Dodds Singers (vocal choir), orchestra
- conducted & arranged by Ralph Burns. New York, 1962.
- A4 & A7: Orchestra conducted & arranged by Bob Mersey.
- New York, 1959.
- A5, B2 & B5: Same personnel as above. New York, 1960-61.
- A8 & B4: Wilbur Ware (b), Ben Riley (d).
- Live at Town Hall, New York, September 12, 1959.
- B1: Al Shackman (g), Chris White (b), Bobby Hamilton (d).
- Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island, June 30, 1960.
- B3: Same personnel as B1. Live at the Village Gate, New York, April 1961.
- B6: Orchestra conducted by Stu Phillips. New York, 1959-60.
SIDE A: THE BALLADS
- 1. I LOVES YOU PORGY
- 2. LITTLE GIRL BLUE
- 3. SOLITUDE
- 4. WILLOW WEEP FOR ME
- 5. MEMPHIS IN JUNE
- 6. FOR ALL WE KNOW
- 7. BLUE PRELUDE
- 8. BLACK IS THE COLOR OF MY TRUE LOVE’S HAIR
SIDE B: THE BLUES
- 1. TROUBLE IN MIND
- 2. GIN HOUSE BLUES
- 3. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
- 4. FINE AND MELLOW
- 5. RAGS AND OLD IRON
- 6. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT
- 7. MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME *
- * BONUS TRACK
Label: Matchball Records